If you are interested in working for PHI Construction, please send us your resumé for employment consideration. Current positions available are listed below.
The estimator is primarily responsible for monitoring and controlling all estimating related activities. The estimator will work in coordination with both the Group Leaders and Project Managers to provide accurate, consistent estimates for our customers. Estimator duties and performance measurements:
- To provide accurate, organized, timely quantity take offs for both lump sum projects and budget estimates.
- Help identify cost saving techniques, materials and procedures where necessary. Work with Group Leader, Project Manager and Subs to determine what systems/products will provide the best value.
- Assist in managing the bidding process including document control, solicitation of subcontractor bids and plan center interface.
- Assist in conceptual estimating by developing scopes and budgets that will provide the Project Managers with clear, comprehensive information suitable for review by the customer.
- Coordinate production of additional documents as needed for bidding or budgeting process.
- Assist in the nomination and election of subcontractor’s for design build subcontractor budget estimates.
- Update and manage subcontractor database when necessary.
- Perform cost comparison and analysis as requested.
- Consistently update cost information in database and procure cost information resources (i.e. reference books).
- Monitor and update computer aided estimating software system.
- Review with Group Leader/Project Manager the requests for bids; determine proper bidding procedures and the required emphasis for each project.
- Conduct post job construction meetings and cost analysis to verify and expand upon cost information from field.
- Maintain relationships with quality, reliable subcontractors, vendors, and suppliers as requested by the Group Leaders and/or Project Managers.
- Provide quantity takeoffs of any changes on the drawings between the permit set and the construction set.
- Review all specifications, soils report etc. to verify that all requirements of bid/budget are met.
- Work in a team environment to provide estimating assistance in whatever capacity to meet the needs of our customers.
- Provide closeout for lump sum bid projects with all information organized into a comprehensive bid summary binder.
- Work with other Project Managers in the company to help them succeed in all estimating on their projects. This is about Team work. This expectation is intended to foster cooperation throughout the company in all ways.
- Set-up and manage a functional Bid room.
- Communicate estimating efforts and potential work to President, Vice President and Group Leaders.
- Two year associates degree in Architectural Drafting & Estimating.
- Up to three years of estimating experience.
- Four year bachelor’s degree in construction management or engineering.
- General knowledge of estimating techniques.
- Strong basic math skills
- Strong teamwork orientation
- Positive attitude and professional customer service skills
- Detail oriented
- Possess traits that consistently demonstrate behaviors aligned with PHI Construction’s culture and values.
- Ability to build strong relationships both internally & externally.
Hours: 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Varies by job-site
Status: Non-Exempt Hourly
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
The candidate must possess and be adaptable to the following physical abilities and working conditions:
- Ability to frequently lift or carry 20 to 75 pounds.
- Ability to assist with lifting or carrying up to 120 pounds when necessary
- Other physical requirements include standing, bending, squatting, sitting, kneeling, crawling, and climbing.
- Typical working conditions include unheated areas and in all weather conditions.
The candidate must possess meet the following criteria:
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in commercial construction preferred.
- Pass a pre-employment drug screening.
- A high school graduate or equivalent preferred and the ability to perform construction math.
- Possess a complete set of tools and construction site attire, including approved leather footwear.
- Possess a strong working knowledge of the tools of the trade and be able to train others in the use of these tools.
- Valid license and acceptable driving record may be required.
- Transportation available to various job sites throughout the workweek and sometimes during the workday.
- Become well acquainted with and demonstrate competency in OSHA job site safety requirements and be able to enforce them.
- Ability to effectively interact with customers and staff.
- Ability to lead and set the pace and attitude of crew and run small jobs on own.
- Complete knowledge of common construction techniques and materials.
- Able to read and interpret plans and specs as needed to perform their tasks.
- Perform short term scheduling and plan ahead in preparation.
- Be able to do layout with transit and level. Run grades.
- Able to manage subcontractors efficiently in the field.
- Perform quality control as job progresses.
- Have excellent attendance record.
- Ability to work independently or participate productively in a team environment.
- Be committed to a full day’s work with energy, a positive attitude and producing a quality product.
- Able to train those he/she is leading. Be a good teacher and listener.
- Desire to set quality standards in all areas including safety and production.